RE: Hand-feeding

While I don't mean to dampen any enthusiasm, let me make just a quick
observation on hand-feeding.  Please observe "universal precautions" when
hand-feeding - wash your hands with soap before and after hand-feeding wild
birds.  Most avian diseases cannot "jump species" (are not zoonotic) and
cannot be commmunicated to humans.  Most human diseases cannot "jump
species" and cannot be communicated to birds. However, there are a few
diseases that can be communicated between species and spending just a minute
washing your hands is a sensible precaution - for you and the birds.

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"