Hummer banding trip to the northern Outer Banks

Dear Carolinabirders,

Things have been very hectic here but I wanted to let you know about my
hummingbird trip to the northern end of Dare Co. NC last week
(Wednesday-Friday 1/9-11).  Thanks to Jeff Lewis I made contact with a
number of winter hummer hosts from Mann's Harbor to Southern Shores.  In
Manteo at the home of Mickey and Elayne Kodroff I found multiple
Ruby-throateds.  I managed to catch three (an adult male and two juvenile
males) but there were at least two others that evaded me.  In Southern
Shores I saw a number of Ruby-throateds at four locations (including the
yard of local birders Don and Alice Wood) and managed to catch two
more --one adult male and one young female.  I think you can guess what  I
will be doing this upcoming weekend during the CBC meeting in Nags Head when
I am not out leading a field trip...

Also on my way home I stopped in Mann's Harbor to check out two hummers
reported at feeders there.  I caught a young female Rufous Hummingbird and
briefly saw an Archilochus that buzzed through the yard.

My final stop was in Greenville at the home of long time birder Grace Smith
and caught a beautiful young female Rufous that had been with her
(originally sighted at  the oriole feeder) since early January.

Well, that is all for now--but the season is not over yet!!  I will
certainly keep you posted.

Susan Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC