Edenton Sandhill Cranes

Thanks to Ginny Gillam and Carolinabirds for a new addition to my "North
Carolina list".  I saw the Sandhill Cranes at the intersection of
Highway 32 and Soundside Road near Edenton that Ginny has been
reporting.  As I scoped them from Soundside Road, they gradually moved
away from me, but I don't think I disturbed them: Ginny said they were
still there this afternoon.  They can likely be found another day.

Also of interest was the immature Coopers Hawk in an unusually
cooperative (and much-needed for me to make the distinction from
Sharp-shinned) perch on a power line on Soundside Road (closer to the
sound).

John Daughtry
Greenville, NC
cbirds@coastalnet.com