American White Pelicans at Bear Island

Hi C-Birders,

On Sunday, 20 Jan 2002 Peter Rutt (a birder visiting from England) and I
make a whirlwind tour from Columbia to the coast, visiting the Orangeburg
sod farms, Bear Island Wildlife Management Area in Colleton County, the Port
Royal Boardwalk Park and Hunting Island State Park in Beaufort County, and
Buckfield Reserve in Hampton County, all in South Carolina.

Highlights of our day included at least 10 American White Pelicans at Bear
Island, and a fine lek of American Woodcocks (4 males) in a clearcut in
Hampton County at dusk. Other good birds at Bear Island were about 80
Whistling Swans and two Wood Storks.

Here is our day list, a nice day on the South Carolina coast in winter:

Common Loon
Pied-billed Grebe
Northern Gannet
American White Pelican