Space On CBC Pelagic Trip This Weekend

Dear Carolinabirders,

I wanted to make sure that folks were aware that we still have
several spaces available on our pelagic trip from Hatteras on Jan.
26(27), which coincides with the CBC meeting at Nags Head. CBC members
receive a discounted price of $90/person for this trip regardless of
date of registration. Past trips in late January and early February have

produced sightings of several hard to see species in the Carolinas
including Dovekie, Atlantic Puffin, Common Murre, and even Yellow-nosed
Albatross. Other species like Great Skua, Razorbill, Northern Fulmar,
Manx Shearwater, Black-legged Kittiwake, and Red Phalarope are often
seen on these trips, and because the trip will pass close by Cape Point,

there is the potential to see several species of gulls as we chum the
birds close.

This trip will be aboard the Miss Hatteras and will depart from Oden's
Dock, which is about 60 miles from South Nags Head. Meeting time for
this trip is 0630, which is a half hour later than usual in order to
accommodate CBC meeting attendees. A Hatteras departure also means that
we are less likely to be weathered out than if we left from Oregon
Inlet. The Miss Hatteras was re-powered this fall and is now faster,
which means that if conditions allow and require it, we will be able to
steam farther to the north to find cold water.

We also have trips from Hatteras on Feb. 16(17), Feb. 17/18, and March
9(10). Last year we saw about two dozen puffins on a mid February trip.
If those dates don't suit, we have trips leaving from Virginia Beach on
Feb. 2(3) and 9(10). All of these trips are $100/person, and with the
exception of  Feb. 17/18, all are Saturday trips with Sunday weather
dates. For the February Hatteras trips the 17th is first a weather date
for the 16th.

I hope that some of you can join us on these trips. For more
information, please visit our website- http://www.patteson.com/, or call

me at (252) 986-1363 (before 10PM please). I would prefer to handle
questions about the trips over the phone as I am not always able to
check e-mail , but I can retrieve messages on a daily basis.

Thanks,

Brian Patteson
Hatteras, NC
Brian@Patteson.com