request for info

Hello all,
A colleague spoke with me yesterday about a bird who had flown into her
window. She could see that it was injured (bleeding about the mouth and
lying on 1 side). She observed it for a while and it eventually got into
an upright position. She felt it was suffering because of the bleeding
and because it was shaking all over. Wanting very much to put it out of
its misery, she knew only the advice to break its neck, which she just
could not bring herself to do. Sadly, the bird died, but it took almost
an hour. She asked me to ask what humane methods you would recommend
when this type of situation arises. Someone once told me he put a badly
injured bird in a paper bag and held the bag at the end of his car's
exhaust pipe so the carbon monoxide would put it down. My colleague
asked about putting the injured bird in a bag and putting it in the
freezer. Would that be a less horrendous death?

Suggestions are welcome.

Carol Williamson
Durham, NC
carolw@sandler-recht.com