ducks in the south Raleigh area

I have been trying to think more about my coursework and less about birds, but that did not work out so well.  I went out today to the dairy unit and poultry unit of NCSU, near Lake Wheeler, to look for ducks (everyone mentioning ducks made me curious).

Yates Millpond:

9 Bufflehead (5 males, 4 females) -- very nice plumage
8 scaup (4 males, 4 females)
6 C. Geese

pond next to dirt road (at poultry unit), off west-side of Lake Wheeler Road:

N. Shovelers (3 males, 1 female)
1 Bufflehead (female)
8 Ring-necked Ducks (6 male, 2 female)
5 Hooded Mergansers (2 male, 3 female)
1 Great Blue Heron

I drove past the dairy unit pond off the east side of Lake Wheeler Road, but didn't see anything there.  The scaup appeared to be Greaters, but after failing to find my bird guide and checking the status of Greater Scaup in this area (used the frequency chart on Will Cook's web-site), I have doubt.  For scaup, I tend to use the shape of the head to identify them (sometimes use head color in close-viewing situations, but heard that this method is inaccurate).  The head shape suggested Greater, but the birds were very active (no long looks) and light was failing (after 5pm).  These sort of ID troubles cause me to try and pull my hair out everytime species are split.  I tend to be a "lumper".

But, I really enjoyed seeing the ducks and the nice sunset. I just may have to skip finishing my homework to check out those scaup again.  :)

Elisa Enders
eenders@unity.ncsu.edu
student, North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC)