green-tailed towhee and a good morning

Doug Shadwick and I travelled down to Southport today
to find the towhee. We got there before dawn, put out
some seed, set up the scopes, and waited. We had fox,
song, swamp, white-throated, and white-crowned
sparrows, painted bunting, cardinal, house finch, and
eastern towhee eat seed in the first hour.  Then Sam
Cooper from Wilmington arrived and brought some luck
with him. Within 10 minutes the green tail appeared.
He gave us a good 3-4 minute look in the scopes before
jumping back in the brush. he was seen abound
7:30-7:45.
We continued our trip on the southport ferry to fort
fisher. There was a female common merganser in "the
basin" and lots of shorebirds on 'the rocks" at
federal point. We also stopped at greenview pond in
Wilmington and saw the Eurasian Wigeon in the south
end. OVerall, for a day where we were going to see the
towhee and then 'wander around a bit,' we ended up
with 86 species and were on our wa home by noon. A
good morning.
Bruce Young
young715@yahoo.com
durham nc