birding around south Raleigh

I went out to the Centennial Campus of North Carolina State University
(can access from Avent Ferry Road, south of Western Blvd).  Had to go
out there for a meeting, so I took a look around the campus and Lake
Raleigh.  In my opinion, they could have put that land to better use
than giving it to the engineering college (and I'm an engineering
student!).  The lake has been filled in, but there wasn't any
waterfowl except 6 Canada Geese on a grassy area next to the lake.

Other birds:

1 Downy Woodpecker
1 Belted Kingfisher
4 Red-winged Blackbirds
1 Killdeer
2 Mourning Doves
a few White-throated Sparrows

Next, I stopped by Lake Johnson:

2 Canvasbacks (male and female, very close views)
20 Coot (approximated number)
10 Ruddy Ducks (approximated number, birds far away)

Overall, not very exciting, but I enjoyed seeing the Canvasbacks.  I
had forgotten how white the males are around the back and sides.

Elisa Enders
eenders@unity.ncsu.edu
student, North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC)