The Red on Red-cockaded Woodpeckers

Hi Folks,

YES! MORE on red on woodpeckers (gosh!). If you don’t want to read it… then
DON”T.

For 2 years I have worked with RCWs on a daily basis  at the Savannah Rive
Site in southern SC. I've observed that when there is a territorial dispute
the Males and females flare their crests out. This is the only time you see
the male’s slight red streak behind the eye (That is the "cockade"). They do
not tend to do this when pair bonding. They keep it hidden. It is being
suggested (and may now be FWS policy… I have to check) not to use red leg
bands on this species since it may act as a catalyst for disputes within
clusters (Cluster: the terminology that replaced "colony"). Thirdly: It's my
observation that clusters that have male birds with sap on their heads (and
so show red on a semi-perm. basis) tend to be more vocally active. This
could be a result of this offensive device being unintentionally advertised.
I'll soon be leaving RCW management for multiple-species research here on
site but am happy that the last 2 years haven't been wasted.

Paul Champlin
New Ellenton, SC