caching by raptors

Following on Eric Harrold's question about caching food by raptors, I
have seen a male Kestrel return to its nest with a vole and, upon not
finding the female around, stash the vole in the needles of a pine
near the nest. When the female returned, she went over to the branch
and got the mouse. She then proceeded to check out other branches to
see if her faithful provider had left her any other goodies, so this
was obviously a regular behavior. There are other examples--I don't
think it's all that rare.

--

Rob Bierregaard

				Phones: 704 333 2405
Biology Department			704 547 3499
UNC-Charlotte			Faxes:	704 333 2404
9201 University City Blvd.		704 547 3128
Charlotte NC 28223-0001		rbierreg@email.uncc.edu

	http://www.bioweb.uncc.edu/bierregaard/