Ruby-CROWNED Kinglet

We have a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet that occasionally visits the shrubbery
outside the kitchen window with the chickadees and titmice coming to the
feeder.  My wife loves this bird because as a novice it's really her
first ID of something more than the usual yard bird.  Saturday the
kinglet came to the window and Sandy "squealed" in delight.  When she
squealed the kinglet flared his crown--REALLY flared it.  Every time any
one of us would make a sound of delight he would stand up every feather
on his head.  The red feathers literally looked like the points of a
crown.  A perfect little red crown.  Having observed Ruby Crowned
Kinglets for years this is the first time I have ever seen more than the
little red stripe on their head.  And it's first time I have understand
the source of the name.  It's well earned!

Paul Shewmaker
Simpsonville SC
paulshewmaker@charter.net