Purple Finches

Craig: We have had a few female Purple Finches at the Caw Caw County Park in
Ravenel, SC this winter, but they were not seen again. Had a nice male that
was observed on 2/6 and 2/13 near our buildings through a 60x spotting scope
for about 10 minutes.  I had two male Purples at my feeder for 2 days.
Also, I have had several male House Finches at the feeders that are
difficult to separate from Purples.   These males had darker crowns and
heavier streaking on their sides along with an orange red rump which is not
like any Purple I have seen. The Male Purple Finch is probably still around,
but hard to find.  We will be looking for it around our buildings on the
weekly Wednesday and Saturday bird walks that begin at 8:30 am. Perry Nugent