Santee Coastal Reserve, 2/21/02

Scouting for some Tideland Bird Festival field trips, Ritch Lilly and I
took a quick spin around Santee Coastal, in Charleston County SC, this
morning.  I had to leave before Ritch; he may have some more to add to
this.

Good numbers of waterfowl, a fair bit of song in the air, and a lot of
activity everywhere.  As Ritch had promised, we saw BALD EAGLES and WOOD
STORKS, and two PEREGRINE FALCONS directly over us, close enough to hear
wingbeats, were another highlight.  RED-COCKADED WOODPECKERS, while
expected there, are always a treat.

I didn't actually count waterfowl; numbers are "estimates" (that is, total
guesses based on unreliable memory, suitable for recreational use only)

Pied billed Grebe		40
Brown Pelican			2
Double-crested Cormorant	800
Great Egret			75
Snowy Egret			5
Great Blue Heron		4
Tricolored Heron		20
Little Blue Heron		5
White Ibis			45
Wood Stork			3
Am. Black Duck			2
Am Wigeon			2
Gadwall				1
N. Pintail			20
N Shoveler			45
Blue-winged Teal		1
Green-winged Teal		?500?
Scaup			(no count - I missed these)
Bufflehead			2
Hooded Merganser		150
Bald Eagle			six sightings, at least 3 recognizable
				individuals
N. Harrier			3
PEREGRINE FALCON		2 adults, flying close together
Black Vulture			4
Am. Coot			200
Gr. Yellowlegs			9
RB Gull				15
Caspian Tern			30
Mourning Dove			2
Belted Kingfisher		3
Downy Woodpecker		4
Red-cockaded Woodpecker		5
N. Flicker			3
Red-bellied Woodpecker		2
Pileated Woodpecker		2 (Ritch)
Ea. Phoebe			1
Crow sp.			2
Tree Swallow			12
Carolina Chickadee		3
WB Nuthatch			1
Brown Headed Nuthatch		8
Carolina Wren 			1
Marsh Wren			3 heard only, ID?
Ruby Crowned Kinglet		1
Pine Warbler			25 singing
YR warbler			10
C. Yellowthroat			4 singing
E. Towhee			2
Chipping Sparrow		40
Song Sparrow			6
Swamp Sparrow			2
White throated sparrow		2
C. Grackle			1
Red-winged Blackbird		25 singing
BT Grackle			20 singing

Also picked up
Turkey Vulture
Barred Owl
Am. Kestrel
Red-tailed Hawk
E. Meadowlark

on the drive down.

Christopher E. Hill
Department of Biology
Coastal Carolina University			Ph: 843.349.2567
P.O. Box 261954					Fax:843.349.2201
Conway, SC 29528				E: chill@coastal.edu

"You can see a lot just by observing." - Yogi Berra