Iceland Gull Saga

Brian Van Druten, one of those Fish & Wildlife persons who cannot use his
computer to send e-mail, asked me to put the following on carolinabirds.
With his permission, I have embellished his account somewhat, in the effort
to make a little story of it.

Iceland Gull Saga

On 2/16 Brian Van Druten and Kelley Hays left for Cedar Island on the late
morning ferry. As the boat departed Ocracoke, an unusual gull appeared with
the flock of followers, and stayed with the boat all the way to Cedar Island.
 It even joined the other birds on deck, looking for handouts. The bird was a
first winter Iceland Gull, easily identifiable in some shots Brian took with
his digital camera.

Interestingly, on 2/18 when Brian and Kelley left Cedar Island for the return
trip, the Iceland Gull was still present around that ferry dock.  Perhaps it
did not have enough $$ for the return fare to Ocracoke.

Brian Van Druten
Buxton NC

Submitted by Pat Moore
Buxton NC