shrikes

This morning I saw a Loggerhead Shrike along Sanders Road near my home in nw.
Johnston Co., NC.  That isn't unusual, since they're still common in Johnston
Co., though it was my first shrike of the year.  Later I was driving on Tryon
Rd. in Wake Co., just west of Garner, and saw another shrike.  I was a short
distance east of Lk. Wheeler Rd. at some place with a sign that said Circle C
Farm.
       I also checked a couple of ponds.  The NCSU Dairy Pond (what I could
see of it from the road) had several Lesser Scaups.  The West Lake Pond had
at least ten Ring-necked Ducks and at least five Buffleheads, all actively
diving and making it hard to count them.

Erik Thomas
barbarahunter919@aol.com
Johnston Co., NC, & NCSU