Question

Today I noticed a disturbance in a grapevine near my back door.  I was
surprised to see several white throated sparrows sipping the little drops
of sap coming out of the vine ends due to a recent pruning.  The
mockingbird which claims that area as his own had caused the excitement,
flying into the group of sparrows and trying to chase them away although I
never saw him taste the sap.  This continued   throughout the afternoon.
My question is:  Is this unusual behavior or am I simply the last person to
notice?? Certainly was interesting to watch.

Lucille Lentz
ljl@etinternet.net