Re: Questions about burrowing owls

Dave,

I have seen Burrowing Owls in Tampa during
the middle of the day. I recently read, in
the Audubon club newsletter of the Hommossa
Springs area, that they were disappointed to
miss them on their Christmas count and that the owls have a more restricted
range, probably
easier to find more southerly and inland.

Good luck!

Oh yes, Burrowing and Long-eared Owls are the only SC listed owls I have
never heard or seen in SC. I recall a report of Burrowing from Huntington
Beach State
Park by Colonel Pat Probst, I think, in the 70's.
Burrowing would be the hardest to find of any of the SC listed owls, a very
accidental occurance.
Darned cute little "Prairie Dog Thaings", as
Gary Phillips might say.

Good birdin'
Steve Compton
Summerville,SC
mailto:scompton@sc.rr.com

PS: anyone interested in SC Pelagic
birding out of Mt.Pleasant, contact me
for details, I am interested in going in April or May.
Cheap ride, too ($35.00 for a full day)