Rainy day birds

    So far this has been a good day for yard birds.  Along with the
goldfinches and house finches this morning a pine siskin put in an
appearance.  Right at lunchtime a single purple finch in female/first
year plumage showed up.  That was the first purple in two years.
    Early this morning I stopped on US 401 at Stewarts Creek south of
Bunnlevel.  I managed to flush a pair of woodducks (again) and found
both g-c and r-c kinglets plus a few of the usual winter residents.
I'll be checking Stewarts Creek for warblers in another six weeks or so.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu