Re: Rainy day birds

We have had a visit from a Red-Headed woodpecker this morning at the suet
feeder.  I do not remember ever having one this early.  I checked our
records and for the past two years, they have shown up  around April 19-20.
They nest nearby every spring and will bring their young back to the feeders
when they fledge.  I am wondering if this might be a local  that has just
made his first trip to my feeders,  a migrant, or our own neighborhood birds
back early.  Only time will tell.

I've enjoyed the huge flocks of red-winged blackbirds swarming all over the
lawns for the last several days.  It reminds me of someone once telling me
to always scan these large flocks for the  possiblitiy of seeing  a
yellow-headed blackbird.

Goldfinch are still in abundance, eating lots of thistle and sunflower
hearts along with the few house finch we have here.

Joanne Harley
New Bern,NC
harleyclan@coastalnet.com