RE: Burrowing Owls

David and all -

Burrowing Owl is on SC's Definitive List, meaning there are four or more
acceptable sight records of the speicies or there is physical evidence of
the bird's presence in the state.  In the case of the Burrowing Owl, there
is photographic evidence of its presence as well as three acceptable sight
records.  The photographic evidence is from Huntington Beach, photo(s) taken
in January, 1976. All records for the species in SC are from November
through January and all are from coastal counties.

As for when to see them, I saw them in New Mexico as late as mid-morning
(9:00 am or so) and as early as mid-afternoon (3:00 pm or so).  They were
"backyard birds" for the family I was visiting out there.  The owls lived in
a vacant lot in the low-density development where the birds had appropriated
a prairie dog town.  They are very easy to see *if you can find "a colony".*
Be respectful of their "space" and the owls will allow you long leisurely
looks.  Good luck!

Donna Slyce Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

     "Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina"