Signs of Spring

We all know it's coming, but it's nice to see the evidence as well.  Around
the area we've noticed the following signs of the coming season:

Our first eggs and nest of the season.  Each year a Mourning Dove tries to
nest in our Carolina Jessamine.  Each year the grackles get to the nest.
So it was this year.  We discovered the ruined nest on Saturday.  Not sure
how old the eggs were at that point.  (technically not a sign of spring
since MODO's can nest most any ole time, but I'm taking a little latitude
here)

The dreaded House Sparrow returning to check out the bluebird boxes.  Time
to whip out the live trap obtained from the Purple Martin Conservancy.
Anybody want a House Sparrow cheap?

Fish Crows returning en masse to the area.  As is usually the case a couple
of American Crows welcome the arrivals by speaking to them in their
language.  Steve's hint for the day: One uh-uh does not a Fish Crow make.
Better listen for a bit and make sure the speaker does not switch dialects
on you.

The woodcock have just about wrapped up for the season.  We usually peak in
early January with courting woodcock.  One lone bird continued to display
Saturday morning, but was not terribly enthusiastic and quit before we
could get a bearing on him.  (Wonder why the Brickhouse Rd birds seem to
start quite a bit later and display further into the year?)

Duck number dwindle.  The wigeon have cleared out along with the majority
of the Ring-neck ducks.  Shovelers, scaup, and Bufflehead make up most of
what is left on the local ponds.

And best of all, displaying Great Blue Herons behind John A's place at
Greenview Pond.  We got to see the breeding plumes held out in starburst
fashion on Saturday as the birds discussed with each other just how pretty
they really are.  Quite a sight to see 10-15 birds perched among the snags
in the old beaver pond.

OK, where's that first shorebird??

Best,
Steve Shultz