Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 15:28:28 -0500
From: Bonnie W. Strawser <pea-island@outer-banks.com>
To: wingsoverwater@mail.com
Subject: send interns!!

HELP!!!

With the Interior internet problem (we've been unable to communicate
with the rest of the world for weeks and weeks...)... evidently no
one is able to find our intern info....  We are sadly lacking in
applications for this summer.

Please post notices that will encourage some applications!!  We're
having 2 at AR this summer and 3 at PI, but Mackay is also looking
for 2 interns.

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
2002 Internships
Alligator River & Pea Island
National Wildlife Refuges

* Learn first hand how the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service protects
America's wildlife & wildlife habitat.

* A comprehensive program that provides participants with experience
in a wide variety of refuge management techniques.

* Work with refuge biologists conducting bird and track surveys,
water testing, telemetry, bird banding, sea turtle nest monitoring,
mapping and vegetation surveys.

* Work with the public use program to help create support for the
National Wildlife Refuge System. Teach the public about wildlife and
habitat conservation while staffing the visitor center, presenting
interpretive programs, and leading canoe trips & children's
activities.

* Get to know the people behind the scenes at the refuge headquarters
and administrative offices; Find out about refuge operations and how
federal regulations help to protect wildlife & habitat.

* Work alongside staff maintaining and repairing trails, roads,
bridges, pumps, signs and buildings.

* Enjoy coastal North Carolina's swamps & beaches, paddling, fishing,
surfing, birding, diving, kite sailing & more!

Application Information:
* Alligator River and Pea Island National Wildlife Refuges accept
interns for the spring, summer, and fall.
* Internships are generally 12 weeks in length.
* Housing and a food stipend are provided.
Send a resume describing your experience in the following areas:
- public speaking/leadership experience
- wildlife management techniques
- forestry management techniques
- gis/GPS applications
- computer skills
- plant identification/botany
- bird identification/ornithology
- fish identification/marine biology
- skill with canoes/kayaks
- skill with carpentry and landscaping tools
Please include:
- dates of availability
- contact information, including email
- 3 references
- preference for Pea Island or Alligator River Refuge

Send application packet to:
Volunteer Coordinator
Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
PO Box 1969
Manteo, NC 27954

or email info to pea-island@outer-banks.com
(find out more about the Refuges at
http://outer-banks.com/alligator-river/internships)
Bonnie W. Strawser
Refuge Liason, Coastal Wildlife Refuge Society
Alligator River / Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge
252-473-1131 ext 230
  252-473-1668

  email address:pea-island@outer-banks.com

  Internet service provided by Coastal Wildlife Refuge Society, the
  Refuges' non-profit support group.  For information about membership,
  visit our web site at http://www.outer-banks.com/coastal-wildlife