Black-throated Blue, G-t Towhee, etc.

Hi everybody,
I'm Joe, Ernie and Lois's grandson, who is visiting South Carolina for the
week.
We are staying down at Surfside Beach, where it seems quite warm to me.  On
Sunday we went birding around the town.  We first found some E.
Collared-Doves at Fifth Avenue and Ocean Boulevard, right beside some
Mourning's for comparison.  Further inland on 5th Ave. we found a nice
migrant flock that included a Black-throated Blue Warbler patiently picking
a little crabapple beside the road.  This was a great surprise for those of
us who don't expect to see them until early May in PA.

Yesterday we went to Huntington Beach SP.  The usual things were along the
causeway: Great Egrets, Black-bellied and Semipalmated Plovers, Forster's
Terns, Scaup, Hooded Mergs, Bufflehead, and White Ibis.  Sandpiper Pond had
Coots and a Moorhen.  Clapper Rails called along the carriage trail.  An
alligator saw us off as we left.

We spent this morning chasing down the Green-tailed Towhee who is still
reliable.  Hermit Thrush, Bluebirds, meadowlark, and the sparrows kept us
busy during our short wait for the show.  On the way out we saw Palm
Warblers in the grass with Yellow-rumps underneath the water tower along 211.

Returning to Loris we stopped at the ferry to see an amazingly cooperative
Pileated Woodpecker.  It ignored us as it chipped away at a long-leaf pine.

Along highway 17 a Red-shouldered Hawk crossed the road in front of us,
special for me since they are less common up north.

That's all for a great day- Joe Gyekis

Ernest Snavely
snavely4@sccoast.net