Woodcock, Wood Ducks and a new comet

For the first time since mid- December the evening chorus from behind the
house is without the sound of woodcock.  Sounds like the last displaying
birds have packed it in for the year.  This is normal for us at this
location.  We usually notice a precipitous drop in courtship displays
around Valentine's Day with flights all but ending around 1 March.  Not
wanting to leave us with that empty feeling, nature provided a new species
to watch in the evening, Wood Duck.  We had maybe 30 fly by last night at
dusk.  Neat to have as a yard bird for the month since we don't have a
water source larger than a garden pond!

OK, this one is not a bird, but if you happen to be out looking for those
Brickhouse Rd. woodcock or just want an excuse to use your bins or spotting
scope at night, a comet named Ikeya-Zhang had achieved naked eye status and
should be well seen through optics.  The comet is currently low in the
western sky just below Mars after sunset.  The best viewing will probably
be in the pre-dawn hours in April.  The comet reaches perihelion in
mid-March.  Check out skyandtelescope.com and click on observing highlights
for updates and sky maps.

Best,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC