Black-chinned Hummer in Lexington SC

HI . . .

The "Winter Hummingbird Research" link from the Great Backyard Bird
Count Web site finally paid off this week with the report of a
Black-chinned Hummingbird in Lexington, South Carolina. We were, of
course, eager to trap and band this rare visitor to the Piedmont, and
did so.

For photos and details on this late winter vagrant hummer, check out
"This Week at Hilton Pond" for the week of 1-7 March 2002. It's on
the Web site for Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek020301.html .

As always, we've listed our weekly bird banding totals, including
recaptures of a passel of old Chipping Sparrows and Purple Finches
You may also wish to check out banding results for 22-28 February, a
very long week in a very short month; it's at
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek020222.html. (Due to work and
travel obligations here's no essay for that week, but we did post a
picture of some nice Jonquils.)

Please don't forget to forward this message to folks who share our
interest in nature.  :-)

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at
http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.