CAROLINA SANDHILLS WLR

This was the first time Art and I have been to CSWLR and what a
wonderful place especially when it was such a beautiful day Saturday,
the 9th.  The outstanding bird for us was the ORANGE-CROWN WARBLER in
brushy thickets on the access road to the Observation tower near Pool J
(Oxpen Lake area).

Obviously we didn't see the coveted Red-cockaded altho' many trees are
marked.  We did arrive by 7 AM, and have heard that to see them you have
to be there early or late in the afternoon when they leave or arrive
"home."  We had not planned to go to Sandhills, so we had not done our
homework on voice, pecking rhythms etc.

We would really appreciate information on finding these birds for we
hope to return in the near future.  We also plan to go during  the week
when the rangers are on duty.

The refuge was very alive with the sounds of so many birds and some of
the others we observed were:

N. Harrier
Pine Warblers (many, of course)
Red-tail Hawks
Great Blue Herons (2)
Swamp Sparrow
Wild Turkeys (on 4 there, but 24 in a field near Kingstree, SC)
White-throated Sparrows (unafraid and scratching nearly at our feet)
B. Kingfisher
Canada Geese
Pied Bill Grebes
Ring-neck ducks
Wood Ducks
N. Flicker
Red-belly woodpecker
And the many usual local birds which we appreciate also.

We wonder why with so many wonderful pools there are so few waterfowl.

Any tidbits of info on enjoying this WLR would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Bev Hudson
BevHudson@cheta.net
Hendersonville, NC