Triangle area checklist revised

I've just finished a long-overdue revision of the Chapel Hill Bird Club
checklist to bring it up to date. The last revision of the text version
was in Feb 2000 and the last revision of the graphical frequency bars was
way back in Nov. 1996 (I didn't alter the bars for the June 1999
revision, just the arrangement).

Here's the new text version:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/chbc/trichk2002.pdf
and the old one's still up temporarily in case you want to compare:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/chbc/trichk2000.pdf

The new graphical version (MS Word, formatted for a HP LaserJet 4000):
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/chbc/trianglechecklist2002.zip
and the old one:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/chbc/trianglechecklist.zip

The coverage area for this checklist doesn't include Raleigh because
frequencies for many species (such as ducks, rails, gulls) are notably
different there than at Jordan and Falls Lakes and Orange County.

As much as possible, frequency designations are based on average numbers
from the local bird counts or number of sightings in a given week instead
of guesswork.

Designation count freq, count avg - description
abundant 100% >500 - always present and easy to find in large numbers
common 90-100%, 50-500 - always present and easy to find
fairly common 75-100%, 20-50 - usually present and seen most days
uncommon 50-100%, 5-20 - usually present but not seen most days
occasional 25-75%,1-5 - usually present but not seen most weeks
rare 10-50%, <1 - may be present but not detected most years
very rare 5-10%, <1 - not present most years
accidental <5%, <1 - five or fewer reports in 25 years/temporally
isolated reports

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for further changes.  I'm
sure I missed a few notable sightings in the last few years.

Thanks,

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu