Dark-eyed Herring Gull

On 11 March, I saw a dark-eyed adult Herring
Gull at Atlantic Beach.

Actually, one eye was typical, being yellow with
a yellowish orbital ring.  The other eye was definitely
brown.

The bird was a typical Herring Gull in every other way.

I wondered if the eye was dark because of a past injury.
It appeared as if the gull was looking out of that eye though
(would turn its head and apparently look down toward the
ground using the dark eye)

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]