Chickadees/Building Nest & New Arbor

Carolina Chickadees been busy yesterday and today.  Building nest in new, but not
yet completed arbor hubby is building.  Been enjoying watching all the activity.
Since building arbor from scratch, John thought he would build birdhouses on
either side of arbor  that would probably be suitable for chickadees or wrens.
Never thought our feathered friends would immediately jump into new home before
construction completed. Have couple questions.  Will I disturb chickadees too much
in nest construction if I try to stain (weatherproof)  arbor in very brief periods
and, while weatherproofing, keep away from 'their nesting area'?   Or, should I
just  forget about weatherproofing arbor so not to disturb my chickadees?  Also,
any recommendations on a site for more info on nesting of chickadees?  My 3 year
old granddaughter is wide-eyed and ready to know more.  I'm thinking of showing
her what a 'nest', 'fledglings', etc., look like picture-wise.  We both sat in
backyard, quiet, etc. for quite sometime till Alexis was able to see the chickadee
'go thru the hole carrying nest material'.  Her facial expression said it all!
Oh, the beauty of watching birds.
Appreciate any info.  Please respond to me directly.  thanks.
Paulette Biles
Hampstead, NC
jppt441@bellsouth.net
PS: If anybody interested, my two female rufouses are still here as of today,
Thursday, 3/14/02.