Hilton Pond 03/08/02 (Uneaten Winter Fruits)

HI . . .

Even though plants pour a lot of energy into producing fruits,
sometimes they go uneaten all winter long. Such is the case with
Coral-Berry, whose fruit is an unusual shade of lavender-pink.

For photos and details on this wildly colored berry, visit "This Week
at Hilton Pond" for the week of 8-14 March 2002. It's on the Web site
for Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek020308.html .

There's also the usual list of banded and recaptured birds; once
again, some venerable Purple Finches have returned to dine at our
sunflower seed feeders.

Please don't forget to forward this message to folks who share our
interest in nature.  :-)

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL
--

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at
http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.