OBX Saturday

My wife and I got out for some birding today on the Banks. Nothing
spectacular, but it was such a pretty day, the trip was well worth it. The
paved Bodie Island trail yielded a few RB Nuthatches, Pine Warblers, and
zillions of butter butts. Oregon Inlet beach (north side 4WD area) found
one FRANKLIN'S GULL in the surf, just off the entrance ramp, 6 or 7 RB
Mergansers under the bridge, one Common Loon, and few Gannet's close in.
The south side, near the old CG station was uneventful. Pea Island North
Pond was virtually devoid of birds, the South Pond sported quite a few
Shoveler's, Pintails, and a smattering of Am. Wigeon's. We went as far
south as Avon, but saw no sign of last weekend's kite siting.

One non-birding highlight; the kite surfers were having a blast at the sail
site in Rodanthe right behind Getaway's Restaurant. The wind was kicking
enough for these fellows to get well air-borne, perform 180's, and land
swiftly. I'd estimate many of them were exceeding 25 knots.

Russ & Rose Lay
Nags Head, NC