Shepherd's Trail, Umstead SP and Eno SP

Hi folks,

Despite basketball watching commitments, I made it out and about
quite a bit this w/e. Mainly searching for spring migrants, I came up
completely short except for a very interesting call at Shepherd's
Trail in Duke forest on Sat am about 10.30. It sounded like a RE
vireo, a repetitive high-rising note and low note, but had more
burr-like qualities. The bird was located in the pines on the right,
past the picnic shelter if you enter from the gate on 751. It was
singing from 20+ feet and shut up when I approached to get a look at
him. If anyone hears/sees him please pass on their ID.

Nothing else was particularly noteworthy except a hairy WP at
Shepherd's Trail, a pond FULL of red spotted newts in Umstead, some
delightful butterflies (sp unknown) and my first flowering dogwood of
the year.

--
Steve Perry

Receptor Biology Lab, Duke Uni Med Center, Durham, NC

stevep@receptor-biol.duke.edu