Sandhill Crane in the Catawba River!

I went to Riverbend Park in northern Catawba County this afternoon to look
for a few migrants.  I only got about 100 yards down the river trail when I
saw a fat looking heron in the river.  When I looked at it through the
binocs it was a Sandhill Crane!  I called Lori and Dom & Emma D'Ostillio and
we all got very good looks at it for over 2 hours.  It was still there when
we left.  I got some pretty good photos of it and I will post them later.
The gates to the park are closed Tuesdays through Thursdays, but you can
still get in if you park at the Oxford Dam parking lot and walk under the
bridge and follow the trail into the park.

Dwayne
Dwayne Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC