first Chimney Swift of the season

On Saturday, 23 March 2002 I saw my first Chimney Swift of the season here
in South Carolina. The bird was flying northwest over the Congaree River
floodplain over Congaree Swamp National Monument, Richland County, SC. This
is the earliest sighting of Chimney Swift for Congaree Swamp NM by about 4
days.

This was a single bird. There were no other swifts. A few Purple Martins
were also migrating along the same path, as well as a couple of Broad-winged
Hawks and over 100 Fish Crows.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com