Update on GB Herons at Cub Creek, Jordan Lake

This morning (3/26) Alan Johnston and Denny Dobbin
checked the heron colony at Cub Creek.  We counted 47
nests.  There was an adult sitting on 23 of the nests
(presumably on eggs); an adult or two were standing on
19 of the nests; and on 5 of the nests there was an
adult in the vicinity, but not on the nest.  We saw a
total of 58 herons.  We also had many Red-headed
Woodpeckers, Green-winged Teal, Blue-winged Teal, Wood
Ducks and Mallards.

The heronry is best accessed from the High-tension
wire easement off Farrington Road (SR 1008) just south
of the junction with Farrington Mill Road (SR 1726).
Several paths from the small parking area take you
along the east side of the creek (which has been
broadened into a swamp by the many active beavers)
about 500 meters to the colony.  We took a GPS reading
at our viewpoint across from the colony.  The exact
coordinates are: N 35 degrees, 50.503', W 79 degrees,
01.441', with an altitude of about 300 ft.

Alan Johnston
Chapel Hill