Peregrine Falcon takes American Oystercatcher

Got a call from someone who observed a Peregrine
Falcon killing and eating an oystercatcher at Core Banks, NC
this past Sunday.  Wonder if an oystercather is about at the
upper size limit of species taken by Peregrines.

By the way, I'm seeing oystercatcher pairs landing on
flat rooftops (condominiums, motels) at Atlantic Beach, NC
again this year.  Also saw one pair landing on a building at
Morehead Plaza in Morehead City.

I still haven't heard from anyone who knows of rooftop nesting
by oystercatchers anywhere else in the U.S., although I can't
believe that it is restricted to the Atlantic Beach-Morehead City
area.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]