Barred Owl Basics

The past few nights (as in between midnight and sunrise) I have heard at
least one barred owl calling in my neighborhood.  Wanting to be helpful to
any bird that might help keep the squirrels in line, my thoughts went
immediately to putting a nest box in the area.

Is there anyone out there who would care to me guidance about such things as
my timing, will the birds nest in site of houses, if I am hearing the
bird(s) are they likely already to be resident in the area, and should I get
involved with the owls or leave them alone?

Thanks.

Mel Hochhalter
MelH@nc.rr.com
Chapel Hill, NC