Raven Rock State Park, 4/1/02

     I had a holiday yesterday, so when the gates at Raven Rock State
Park opened at 8:00 a.m., I was there waiting.  I parked and headed down
the trail to the rock, listening and looking as I walked.  Before I got
to the junction with the Little Creek trail, I met Mary Stevens, who was
out for a morning run.  I reported hearing and seeing yellow-throated
warblers and northern parula.  She told me where to find the Louisiana
waterthrushes along Little Creek.  I followed her directions and located
three, two on the creek and the third on the bank of the Cape Fear River
at the canoe camp. I got great looks at the first one and decent looks
at the other two.  The third one sang for me while I was watching.
     At the river I flushed a pair of wood ducks.  They flew across the
river and disappeared into the trees and brush on the other side.
     On my way from Fayetteville to the park, I saw two kestrels just
south of Bunnlevel and three more on the road into the park from US
421.  I also found wood ducks at Stewarts Creek and at Upper Little
River    at the US 401 bridges.
     I really enjoyed my morning.  I didn't see all that many species,
but I got good looks at the birds that I did find.  A big thanks to Mary
for her guidance on the waterthrushes.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu