Huntington Beach State Park on April 4th

Fortunately before I left for a week of vacation on Monday, which included
several days in Myrtle Beach, I checked Carolina Birds and saw Jack
Peachey's post on the interesting birds he saw last Friday. The weather was
so awful on Thursday morning, I don't think I would have ventured out to the
jetty at Huntington Beach otherwise.

After an almost 45 minute walk in wind so strong I thought at one point I
was going to take off and fly, I finally reached the jetty. Highlights
included two Purple Sandpipers at the start of the jetty, which has been my
nemesis life bird for years. Also, on the walk back from the jetty I spotted
the Piping Plovers, a bird I have not seen since 1996. There were about five
or six of them. I looked for the leg bands, but could not find them. I
didn't have the benefit of a scope and they were moving around a lot, so I
may have missed them.  Other birds of interest included a Wilson's Plover,
another bird I have not seen since 1996, a Black-Bellied Plover, a Least
Tern, and a Horned Grebe.

Also, I found several pieces of Red Coral that washed up on the beach. I
brought them home to put in my son's aquarium. They stink so bad I had to
put them out in the carport. If anyone knows a good way to dry them so they
don't smell, please reply to me off line.

Linda Sharp
Greenville, SC
(864)  268-9409
nljsharp@worldnet.att.net