Horned Lark in Pitt Co., Eagle chick

Around 11:30 a.m., I saw a Horned Lark on the (dirt) Rock Springs Road
in Pitt County west of Greenville (and just west of Highway 264) near
Highway 43.  It seemed to prefer the road, but it would retreat to the
nearby field and then return.  Finally  it soared out of reach of my
binoculars.  The pinkish mantle was more apparent than on the larks I
have seen before.

I saw the eagle chick on 264 near the Tar River.  It is much larger.
Both adults were hanging around the nest, and one fed the chick.  The
other sat on the east side of the Highway in a pine next to the
shoulder.  It was very striking, sitting so close to the road.

A Highway Patrolmen stopped to make sure I did not have a firearm.  I
was glad, even if it did make me more aware of having a red neck and
driving a pickup truck.

John Daughtry
Greenville, NC
cbirds@coastalnet.com