Lake Wateree area, 6 April 2002

Hi C-Birders,

This morning Caroline Eastman and I spent a couple of hours birding up in
Donna Bailey's territory -- Fairfield County, SC -- between I-77 and Lake
Wateree State Park. We were mostly scouting for Blue-headed Vireos, which we
found in two spots. What a glorious spring day in the Piedmont! Many of the
summer residents are now present in good numbers. There were a fair number
of Ovenbirds singing -- a nice migratory movement. The Blue-headed Vireos
were probably on territory. Here is our bird list:

Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Bonaparte's Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Purple Martin
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
American Robin
White-eyed Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Northern Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Ovenbird
Northern Cardinal
Field Sparrow
Common Grackle

Donna, the Blue-headed Vireos were in two places -- the usual place on the
road to the lake and also about 1/4 mile west of Exit 41 of I-77, near the
"Road Closed in 1000 feet" sign. I bet they will still be there on Migration
Count day!

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com