backroad birding, 8 April 2002

Among the first of the season finds for me this morning along the backroads
were a singing Wood Thrush and a singing Hooded Warbler (a first at this
location) at Little Cedar Creek.  The clearcut near Little Cedar Creek is
now hosting several Prairie Warblers.  On one of my "intentional wrong
turn" jaunts again, I hit a really nice spot with a singing Ovenbird, a
singing Worm-eating Warbler, and a singing Red-eyed Vireo on a small
connector road just off Hwy. #321.  I hadn't heard another Red-eyed Vireo
since hearing one lone bird in the yard in late March.  It is only about
0.10 mile out of my way and has some really nice understory among some
larger pines.  It might be a "wrong turn" worth keeping.

Any day that starts with a singing Wood Thrush can't be all bad, even if it
is Monday.
Donna Slyce Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

	Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina