Iceland Gull

Belated news, but I saw the ferry-following Iceland Gull on 3/30.
The family and I were heading to Ocracoke for spring break and
caught the noon ferry from Cedar Island on March 30th. The
Iceland Gull was at the ferry dock and followed the boat most, but
not all the way into Ocracoke. It was a first winter bird. It also had
primaries missing from both wings. Would this be moulting or
wear? The rest of the week was fun, but no birds of note. Back in
the yard in Durham on Sunday (4/7), I had a beautiful Blackburnian
Warbler.

Jim Bloor, Ph.D

Department of Biology
Developmental, Cell and Molecular Biology
Group
B330 LSRC Building
Duke University
Research Drive