upcoming New Hope Audubon field trips

All are welcome to attend the following upcoming New Hope Audubon
field trips. As usual on these trips, we will look at a variety of
natural history subjects, including birds, butterflies, and plants.

Saturday, April 13, 2002, 8:00 a.m. Carolina Sandhills. Join New Hope
Audubon for a trip to the fascinating North Carolina sandhills. Meet
at Glenn Lennox Shopping Center, highway 54 just east of the 15-501
bypass in Chapel Hill at 8:00 a.m. and we will car-pool to the sites,
approximately a 1 1/2 hour drive. We will return to Chapel Hill in
the mid- to late afternoon. Trip leader is field biologist Steve
Hall, an expert on the ecology and zoology of this area. Highlights
of this trip in the past have been Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Bachman's
Sparrow, endemic plants, reptiles, and many butterflies. Steve will
also explain the role of fire in maintaining this unique ecosystem.
Bring binoculars, lunch, water, bug-resistant clothing (long sleeves
and pants), and bug spray. E-mail patrick@coinconsult.net if more
information is needed, but there is no need to sign up. All are
welcome to attend.

Sunday, April 14, 2002, 2:00 p.m. Late Spring Wildflowers.
(Additional notice--not included in April newsletter.) Join New Hope
Audubon Society members to explore late spring wildflowers. Other
highlights of this trip in the past have been butterflies, tiger
beetles, and the (harmless) Northern Water Snake. Bring binoculars,
field guides, and hiking shoes, plus bug spray.   Trip involves
hiking and some elevation change. Leaders: Carol Ann McCormick and
Mark Peifer. Meeting place: Totten Center, North Carolina Botanical
Garden, Chapel Hill, 2:00 p.m. E-mail patrick@coinconsult.net if more
--

Patrick Coin (patrick@coinconsult.net)
web master , field trip chair