probable Tennessee Warbler at Townville, SC

Although Garrett and Dunn rate them as uncommon in spring east of the
Appalachians, and although their migration peak is still a week or so away,
Bing Somers, Jane Chew, and I are convinced that we had a vibrantly singing
Tennessee Warbler in Beaverdam WMA last Sunday morning.  The bird was on
fenced private land across a wide stream, and in spite of our best efforts
(pishing, simulated owl calls), it wouldn't show itself; but the three-part
song was clear and convincing (to us).  It sang for 5-10 minutes and then
stopped; on our way back out of the WMA we visited the area again, and the
bird had resumed singing.  Again we heard it clearly for at least 5
minutes, but it remained across the stream and hidden.

To try to falsify our on-the-spot identification, we've now all listened to
the Stokes CD recording of the bird's song, and we're still convinced
that's what we heard.  I won't put it on my Townville list without visual
confirmation, but I thought the encounter might be of interest to other
Carolinabirds readers.  Common as they are in the fall at places like
Jackson Park or Caesars Head, before last Sunday I've not had a Tennessee
in SC in spring.

Jim Edwards
jim.edwards@furman.edu