More spring birds

     My fishing partner and I spent from 10:00 a.m to 4 p.m. at Upper
Little River upstream from US 401 in Harnett County.  Yes, we did catch
fish, including a 16" bass.  We were serenaded by prothonotary warblers
the whole time and saw several, getting very good looks. I heard and saw
a Louisiana waterthrush and a white-eyed vireo.  A phoebe is nesting
under the upstream side of the highway bridge again this year.  We heard
and saw a red-shouldered hawk, heard a hawk (probably red-tailed)
scream, and saw a pair of accipiters (probably sharp-shinned).  Those
were the highlights.  We had lots of the usual culprits.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu