A FEW FIRSTS AT LAST!

Birder Friends,

After reading all the reports from the lower areas and feeling so
anxious for our arrivals, we were rewarded yesterday.  On my morning
walk I "heard" the Black & White, Hooded, Kentucky, Oven-bird, and think
I heard the call of the Broad-wing that nested here last year.
Then last evening while enjoying a few minutes on the front porch the
RTHummer announced his return by flying nearly in our faces while
squeaking and then took off around the back to the feeder!!  Then while
eating supper on the side porch where we have placed most of the feeders
and drip pan in the yard my husband spotted the Scarlet Tanager!  It
feels so good to have the "children" home once again!!  This morning Mr.
Tanager was singing from the treetops, glad to be "home", I think.
Our bluebirds seems to be incubating now.  She is definitely "sitting in
the box" alot.  What an array of bird color adorns the yard!!  Still
looking to hear the wood thrush - I wanted to mention that the birds
arrivals continue to be within one - two days of arrival times for the
past 5-6 years.  Amazing to me.

Thanks to everyone for info about the Hilton Head area.  We plan to go
to Bear Island Friday and on to HH Sat. where we will take in Pickney
Island as we have never been there.  Possibly we will go to Laurel HIll
(Savannah WLR) on Sunday.  Perhaps we shall see someone in our travels
that we've "met" through listserve!!

There seems to be an overabundance of Goldfinches this year everywhere
we go around Hendersonville.  And we have had a plethora of Pine Siskins
at our feeder along with the GF.  Maybe with the warmer winter they
stayed more in the higher elevations this year since so many folk in the
Piedmont etc. seem to have had a shortage of the Pine Siskins.  Any
comments?

Bev Hudson
BevHudson@cheta.net
Hendersonville, NC