Re: Banded RTH?

KATHERINE . . .

I'm not aware of anyone using color bands on hummers, although
someone might be doing so. Colored legs bands on hummers aren't very
useful because they're so hard to see. That's why most hummer
color-marking is via paint dots on head or back or dye on breast and
throat.

Aluminum bands on hummers sometimes look a little bluish because of
reflections. Could this be what she saw?

Cheers,

BILL

---------

>Hi all,
>
>I've been reading the numerous RTH postings, but I don't know much
>about the banding program.  My mother-in-law has feeders up all over
>the place at her house in Wake County, so I asked her to keep an eye
>out for any banded hummers. She thought she saw one yesterday with a
>blue band, but she couldn't be sure. Is this a possibility?
>
>On a similar note, she has had an RTH return to her feeder for
>several years now--she recognizes him because he has a deformed leg!
>He is still aggressive enough to be "king" of one particular feeder,
>though.
>
>Happy birding,
>
>Kathy Boyer

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at
http://www.hiltonpond.org and
http://www.rubythroat.org

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.