2002 NHAS Wildathon

With permission from the listmaster...

Coming in May, the New Hope Audubon Society (NHAS) is having its
annual Spring fundraiser which we call the Wildathon.  This is
our version of the National Audubon's Birdathon, whereby members
and friends count as many species of birds as possible within a
24-hour period.  The concept has been expanded to include species
of all wild things including birds, butterflies, reptiles,
mammals, and plants.  While it is scheduled for May 4 (it was
practically the only day without a count!), we are very flexible
in the day you actually carry out your Wildathon count.  It's
fun, challenging and has become increasingly popular.  Not to
mention that your efforts will raise money for Mason Farm
Biological Reserve and the Audubon NC Coastal Islands Sanctuary,
as well as NHAS educational and outreach efforts.  Check out our
website for more specific details how the count is conducted, and
for forms if you're interested:
http://www.newhopeaudubon.org/event/wildathon2002.html

This year we have teams that will be purists who count only
birds, and teams that will be generalists who count as many
species of anything they can observe.  The record for birds is 98
which Will indicates was around 1994.  I know there will be
several teams going for 100+.

The New Hope Audubon Society is the local chapter for Durham,
Orange and Chatham counties.  Call me if you would like to be on
a team, be a team leader, or otherwise support this effort.  I
hope to send out a brief summary once we've got our totals
tallied.  Thanks.

And thanks for a lot of carolinabirders who have already
volunteered their time!

Marsha Stephens
(aka 2002 NHAS Wildathon Chair)
North Chatham County, NC